NOTE: All content is subject to editing for purposes of correction and clarification. Registered users will be emailed post-update notifications.
WHAT did Christ say to the Jews concerning the study of the Scriptures?
“______ the ________; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me.” John 5:39.
2. For what were the Bereans commended?
“These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and _______ the Scriptures ____, whether those things were so.” Acts 17:11.
NOTE: “If God’s Word were studied as it should be,” says a modern Bible student, “men would have a breadth of mind, a nobility of character, and a stability of purpose that are rarely seen in these times. But there is little benefit derived from a hasty reading of the Scriptures. One may read the whole Bible through, and yet fail to see its beauty or comprehend its deep and hidden meaning. One passage studied until its significance is clear to the mind and its relation to the plan of salvation is evident, is of more value than the perusal of many chapters with no definite purpose in view, and no positive instruction gained.”
3. By what comparison is it indicated that some portions of God’s Word are more difficult to understand than others?
“For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first ________ of the _____ of God; and are become such as have need of ____, and not of _________.” Heb. 5:12.
4. In what way is this comparison further explained?
“For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a ____. But strong meat belongeth to them that are ________, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.” Verses 13, 14.
5. What writings are specifically mentioned as containing some things difficult to understand?
“And account that the long-suffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother ____ also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all ________, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things ____ to be ________, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.” 2 Peter 3:15, 16.
NOTE: Some scriptures are too plain to be misunderstood, while the meaning of others cannot so readily be discerned. To obtain a comprehensive knowledge of any Bible truth, scripture must be compared with scripture, and there should be “careful research and prayerful reflection.” But all such study will be richly rewarded.
6. Who alone comprehends the things of God?
“For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but ___________.” 1 Corinthians 2:11.
7. How thoroughly does the Spirit search out the hidden treasures of truth?
“But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth _______, yea, the ____ things of God.” Verse 10.
8. What is one purpose for which the Holy Spirit was sent?
“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall _____ you _______, and bring all things to your __________, whatsoever I have said unto you.” John 14:26.
9. Why cannot the natural man receive the things of the Spirit?
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are _________ unto him: neither can he know them, because they are ________ discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14.
10. For what spiritual enlightenment should every one pray?
“____ Thou mine ____, that I may ______ wondrous things out of Thy law.” Ps. 119:18.
11. For what spiritual gift did the apostle Paul pray?
“That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of ______ and ________ in the knowledge of Him.” Ephesians 1:17.
12. Upon what conditions is an understanding of divine things promised?
“Yea, if thou _____ after knowledge, and _____ up thy voice for understanding; if thou _____ her as silver, and _______ for her as for hid treasures; then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.” Proverbs 2:3-5.
13. What great blessing did Christ confer upon His disciples after His resurrection?
“Then ______ He their ___________, that they might understand the Scriptures.” Luke 24:45.
14. What beings of a higher order than man desire to study the truths revealed in the gospel of Christ?
“Which things ________ desire to look into.” 1 Peter 1:12.
15. What is promised him who wills to do God’s will?
“lf any man will [willeth to, R. V.] do His will, he shall know of _________, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of Myself.’? John 7:17.
16. How did Christ reprove those who, though familiar with the letter of the Scriptures, failed to understand them?
“Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do ___, not _______ the Scriptures, nor the ______ of God.” Matthew 22:29.
17. What are the Scriptures able to do for one who believes them?
“And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee ____ unto _______ through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 3:15.
18. When asked by the rich young man the conditions of eternal life, to what did Jesus direct his attention?
“He said unto him, What is _______ in the ____? how readest thou?” Luke 10:26.
19. Whom did Jesus pronounce blessed?
“But He said, Yea rather, blessed are they that _____ the word of God, and ______.” Luke 11:28.
20. What did Christ say concerning the book of Daniel?
“When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso _______, let him _________).” Matthew 24:15.
21. What other book of the Bible is especially commended for our study?
“Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy [the book of Revelation], and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.” Revelation 1:3.